Where's Your Head At?

I have been struggling, struggling, struggling with being able to focus lately -  in most areas of my life, but fitness and training especially.  I have had too much trouble deciding where and what I want to spend time on, so not only is my training all over the place, but I'm not in headspace to set goals, and as for blogging about it... well...


I’ll try to give you an illustration of the fitness/training part of my brain lately:





This probably plays fast and loose with the laws of the Venn diagram, but it’s the best I can do to sort through the jumble.  Let’s break this down some more:




Besides that, the other problem I have is that it’s time consuming, which is a weird thing to say given that I've seen WODs that are 10 minutes long.  Still, I have to drive there (it’s short, but that’s still more than using the in-house corporate gym or my basement or running.  There’s the warm-up and skills portion (which I'm grateful for), yet they start when everybody is ready and there, not just when I want to get things moving along.  There’s no shower at the box, so after I drive back, I still have to shower and change.  The truth is, where there’s a will there’s a way, so these kinds of excuses shouldn't be an obstacle if I really love doing it, but I guess I don’t.  I’d love to improve in some of the skills (pull-ups, dead-lifts, pistol squats and handstand push-ups come to mind), but I don’t get to pick what comes up in the WOD.  I recently tried (again) snatches, but I didn't do so great with them; it just feels like flirting with injury.  Forty-somethings need to play it safe sometimes, which brings us to...



















If I take a look at my accomplishments in October (for example) the calendar looks like this:
The Little Standing man is for Circuit Training = Crossfit WOD or Tabata Bootcamp

That could be worse. Some swims, some bikes... too few runs. At the very least, I joined a Govember Bike Challenge hosted by Jamie at From Couch to Ironwoman, and it's gotten me on the trainer.

Are you madly off in all directions like this? Do you have "Fitness ADD" too?

Labels: , , , , , , ,