Introducing the FAT Project

Do you like transformation stories (as in, whole body makeovers/big weight loss success stories)? I confess, they are generally not my thing, but in this case, I'll make an exception, maybe because the end goal of this one is to become an Olympic distance (not in the actual Olympic Games, mind you), triathlete, and because it's a friend.




Paul McIntyre Royston named his weight-loss effort/triathlon dream the FAT Project not to invoke the pejorative use of the word FAT... it's actually an acronym for Food Addict to Triathlete.

One of the last times I saw Paul in person was the Wasaga Triathlon in 2008 (sadly, I don't have a recap of that race as I wasn't blogging regularly yet), where he completed their Try-A-Tri event of a 375 m swim, a 10 km bike and a 2.5 km run.  He'd spent the summer getting healthier, and completing the race was the culmination of that effort.  Sadly, the results didn't stick, which can be a problem in getting healthy for any of us.

He's now over 400 lbs, living in Calgary with his wife and 3 daughters, but this time, he's building a village, or at least surrounding himself with a team.  His weight loss efforts will be medically supervised by a doctor, dietician and nutritionist.  He's also documenting everything through a website, with a PR firm and Film company on board to capture the big milestones on his journey.  And of course, putting his message out there helps with accountability, so there's a full on social media campaign too, see below.

Website
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
YouTube

I'm really excited to be able to follow Paul on his journey - I think it's going to be uplifting and a lot of fun, and I'll hope you'll join me in cheering him on!

Labels: , , ,